Thursday, March 11, 2010

Letter From Houghton College Student

I couldn't believe that you guys would leave something for me--I didn't understand what I did that was so deserving. I went down to the inn and Steph gave me the card and t-shirt, and we just broke down together.

We have done nothing extraordinary for you all. We've met friends to look up to, people who are taking a stand and working for something that is bigger than they are. You guys are heroes. You are acting as a voice for those who cannot speak. You are hands for those who cannot reach and feet for those who cannot move. You're doing incredible work for God and humanity. He is proud, and he is doing mighty things through you all.

WE are so grateful to have YOU ROCKSTARS as our friends. We are more than happy, we are convicted and dedicated to continuing the work you've started on Houghton's campus. It is not a favor to you, but rather or duty as people, as children of God.

It's already proving to be quite a challenge. I was faced with hurt and realism in an upperlevel class yesterday as students said they thought the day was a success BECAUSE you all were tucked in a room and they were not "forced to interact." I almost started to cry in class, because they didn't realize how hurtful their words were. Even if they see any sexual orientation outside of one man (as recognized at birth) and one woman (as recognized at birth) as a sin, then they should look to follow Jesus Christ as their example and seek conversation with the hurt, the downtrodden and the outcasts. I hate complacency and comfort in ignorance, closed minds! It breaks my heart, because with that kind of thinking, no growth can take place.

ANYWAY, thank you so much for the card and shirt. I will wear it with pride. Steph and I are looking to put together the first QSA very soon, so if you'd like to put our names out there to students who have contacted you, please feel free. Also, you may absolutely put a link to my blog on the soulforce website. I'd be proud to be associated with you and the work you're doing!

Thank you again, Jason! I hope you are having an awesome time in Rochester today!

Love,
Sonja

No comments:

Post a Comment